Pages - Menu

Thursday, 16 August 2012

How-to: Dip dye leggings

 

So I have been intrigued by the dip dye look for a while now. Seeing it constantly featured upon clothing and hair (I too became a victim of this).

Sorting my room out for university and packing my belongings into boxes I came across some very old, well-loved leggings from Topshop. I remembered how much I had adored them and dreaded parting with them. The leggings are black with a half zip down the length of each leg, making any outfit look a bit more edgy, without overdoing it.

The issue came when I remembered how this lovely item came to be at the bottom of my drawer. Looking down once more I was horrified to rediscover a bleach stain courtesy of my over enthusiastic mother.

Hating the thought of parting with them I decided to do a bit of D.I.Y. I knotted the leggings up and placed them into a deep bucket. I then poured a substantial amount of household bleach upon them, watching as they changed into patches of orange within minutes. I quickly removed them so that there would be no damage to the material and rinsed thoroughly. It was then a matter of leaving them to dry!

It is literally that simple. Why not try it yourself with a worn pair? You could also use fabric dyes in the process to get an array of colours, instead of the burnt orange. I will see how daring I become in the future, but right now I am pretty proud of the results. Especially considering It was my first attempt and done on guesswork!

I hope you like them as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment