Pages - Menu

Thursday, 24 February 2011

Interview: Luke Pickett



Your debut album is due out this year. Could you give us a confirmed date and your personal favourite track featured?
Unfortunately there is still no confirmed release date. I keep saying it but it really is very close now and I hope people will think it was worth the wait.
It’s hard to pick a favourite track because I love all the songs for different reasons. I have a few to be honest and they keep changing all the time but the one I’m listening to most at the
moment is a song called ‘Keep yourself together’. It’s quite different to my older material. It’s a lot more up beat but is quite dark lyrically.

What genre of music would you define your work as?
I’m sure my older stuff would be defined as acoustic, but I think that will change with this new record. It’s really hard to say because people always have a different opinion. The easiest thing to say would be pop, but I’ve taken influence from soul, RnB and my more acoustic roots. So I don’t know, maybe a unique blend of all four.

Do you prefer working solo or as part of a band?
I’ve been in bands before and being a solo artist is definitely easier. But when I’m playing live I do like having other musicians accompany me on stage. It takes the pressure off a bit I guess and you can feed off each others energy.

When did you realise that you wanted to become a singer?
It probably wasn’t until I was about 16 that I knew for sure that’s what I wanted. I had sung in bands before that but once I started writing my first EP I think I grew more confident in my vocal ability and felt that it was something I could pursue.

You have been hailed as an excellent live act, what is your reaction to this and what do you enjoy about these performances?
It’s obviously great to know people are saying good things about the live aspect of my show and I’m very humbled by it. It let’s me know I’m doing something right and it’s something I’m proud of.
I think what I enjoy about playing live is seeing people’s reactions to the songs. It’s the one place where you truly get an honest reaction to your work. It’s a great feeling coming off the stage knowing you’ve given a great performance and the audience has enjoyed it.

You are a skilled guitarist, any advice for other budding musicians?
I’m never sure what to say other than the usual clich├ęd stuff, but keep on plugging away, practice hard and you’ll keep improving. It’s always good to try playing with other musicians and test yourself as well.

How do you feel about the reactions to your EP releases on iTunes?
All in all I’ve mostly had a pretty positive reaction to my EP’s on iTunes so I’m pretty happy with what people are saying. It’s great to know people are enjoying my songs and it gives me the confidence to continue writing new material. I keep striving to better what I’ve written before so hopefully I can continue doing that.

As a songwriter, do your lyrics come naturally or are they a reflection on your own personal experiences?
My lyrics tend to be a reflection of my personal experiences, and I like to set the stories in an almost fantasy like world. I’m a massive fan of mafia/gangster films like ‘The Godfather’ etc, and I use a lot of references to those types of movies in my lyrics. Hopefully people will pick up on that and can relate to the story I try to create in my songs.

Where do you see yourself in five years time?
I’d love to say selling out the O2 arena but we’ll see. Honestly as long as I’m still making music that people appreciate and I can make a living from it then I’ll be happy.

Thank you for your time and we wish you the best of luck in the future!
Thank you also!

No comments:

Post a Comment